How funny are these jokes? Results!
In February, I asked people on twitter to rate some jokes so I could compare their responses with the responses of my year 12 stats students.
Here are the jokes:
- I used to train racing snails. One day, I took the shells off to see if they’d go faster. It didn’t really work and, if anything, it made them more sluggish.
- I can’t stand Russian dolls. They’re so full of themselves.
- I’ve always wanted a job putting up mirrors. It’s something I can really see myself doing.
- An ex-student of mine said he’d been doing a building course and could build me a ‘wishing wall’ in my garden. I thought, bless him. He means well.
- Here’s a site for sore eyes: http://www.conjunctivitis.com
- Someone complimented me on my driving the other day. I got back to the car and there was a little sign saying “Parking: Fine”, which was nice of them.
- My cat’s a genius. I asked her what 2 minus 2 was and she said nothing.
- Somebody stole my mood ring. I’m not sure how I feel about it.
- Cheer leading exams are easy. You go in and shout “Give me an A”.
- I’m very good at maths. I understand 110% of it.
After being rated 324 on a scale of 0 (not funny) to 4 (hilarious) here are the average results:
(The one on the end is the 110% joke.)
If you’d like to see the raw data and the jokes in a word document, then there’s a link to a dropbox file here.
I got my students to rate the jokes themselves (they seemed to conclude they weren’t very funny). Then, they compared their ratings with the average score for each joke from the internet. Students also compared their ratings with another student to see if they had similar senses of humour or not.